Dance Team Updates

Allison Younk, Newspaper Co-Editor

After interviewing Brooke Kugel, a sophomore on Preble High School’s dance team, she provided insight on what practice is like during the pandemic, how much of a time commitment it is to be on the team, and some background information about upcoming performances! Here is all you need to know about Preble’s Dance Team!

What exactly is the Preble Dance Team?

Any girl that is a student at Preble can audition! Auditions must be re done every year even if you’ve previously been on the team. There are two main types of dance the girls do, competitive kick and pom. Some girls can do solos at certain competitions and every year the team does a hip hop routine at Preble’s football games! There is always a dance the seniors get to choreograph for the end of the season. Last year (before COVID) the team had about 24 girls, this year there are 20 girls, “and with COVID that is actually a pretty big number” says Brooke. 

What is practice like during COVID?

All 20 girls go to practice on the Preble auditorium stage every Tuesday and Friday. They wear masks and take breaks to use hand-sanitizer as well as using gloves during kick lines. When they aren’t in close contact doing kick lines, they are socially distancing on the stage. This sounds like a difficult process but the girls are working hard to keep doing what they love safely! 

Are there any upcoming events or performances?

There will be one competition in person at Ashwaubenon’s high school gym, which will take place on March 6th. Each team of dancers, from different schools, get a specific time slot to perform, “There will not be a crowd as of now.” Brooke informed me. The rest of the competitions, such as regionals and state, will be held virtually. 

What is the most difficult part of practicing during the pandemic?

Brooke told me that one of the most difficult part of practicing during this pandemic is low endurance. Before the girls were allowed to get back into practice, the way the season would run, and when they could get back to practice was so unknown. They were given a week or two notice before they would be dancing again which led to some of the girls feeling unprepared for the season. 

How big is the commitment to being on the dance team?

Right now, the girls are practicing on Tuesday and Fridays from 3:30-7:30pm. If there is a change in choreography, the girls will record a video of them dancing at home so they are all on the same page with their modifications. Before COVID-19 changed everything, the team would practice on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday starting after school around 3pm until 6:30pm. With the pandemic going on, the girls seem to be doing well and managing this huge change. 

How long is the season?

Typically the dance season starts in May as the girls prepare for tryouts and it ends the following February. But this year, as we all know, things have changed. The season started in January and will be ending in March. I’m sure the girls are making the most of their short season! Go Preble! 

Here is a picture of the Preble dance team girls during their 2019-2020 season.